Top 10 Reasons Families Love Kiawah’s Beaches
Every parent knows that you call the doctor when your kids are sick, but did you know you could also consult with a doctor to plan an unforgettable summer vacation? Every year, “Dr. Beach” (a.k.a. Dr. Stephen Leatherman) evaluates American beaches against 50 criteria and pronounces the Top 10 on his website.
Kiawah Island, South Carolina routinely makes an appearance on Dr. Beach’s annual list, but the prestigious accolades don’t stop there. Kiawah was recently named the #1 Island in North America by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler. Here are the Top 10 reasons why families love Kiawah Island’s award-winning coastline as well…
It goes on and on! The stunning beach in front of Kiawah Island Golf Resort stretches 10 miles long — providing an endless playground for building sandcastles, flying kites, collecting shells and just exploring. Families can stroll from one end to the other, even at high tide.
2. No boardwalk required! The sand is so smooth and hard-packed, you can bike on it. For your convenience, beach bikes are available for rent right on the island so you can hold your own Tour de Kiawah.
3. You can sea life! While playing on the beach, you’re likely to meet sand crabs and sandpipers and see other shore birds soaring by. You might even see a pelican diving for its dinner. And that’s not all…
4. Friendly dolphins folic here! Right from your beach chair, chances are good that you’ll witness dolphins playing in the surf. (If you want to learn more about this friendly sea mammal and get up close, try a Dolphin Encounters tour.)
5. There’s nothing cuter than baby turtles! From mid-May to early August, endangered loggerhead turtles dig nests and lay their eggs. (Nests are protected, so please observe from a distance.) If you’re lucky, you may see little hatchlings adorably scrambling toward the surf.
6. You can catch your own dinner! The fishing is good (and plentiful!) on Kiawah Island — with opportunities to hook “the big one” in the ocean, creeks, rivers and marshes.
7. You can also catch some waves! Kiawah’s calm waters are just right for the whole family to boogie board or body surf for hours. (Just remember to keep reapplying that sunscreen!)
8. The fun never stops! The youngest vacationers will enjoy tons of cool activities from morning until night, day after day at Kamp Kiawah.
9. “Big kids” can get in touch with nature! 7-12 year olds have the opportunity to explore the sea, marshes and ponds and meet the local wildlife as part of Kiawah’s Junior Naturalist Program.
10. The family that’s active together, stays together! Kiawah Island offers so many land and water sports for visitors of every age. Feeling adventurous? Try your hands (and feet!) at something exciting and new like Stand-Up Paddleboarding.
Of course, these are just the Top 10 reasons families love a Kiawah Island vacation. To explore all there is to do at this coveted coastal destination, visit KiawahResort.com.