Marathon Pre-Race Information
Confirm your Race Registration
Click here to confirm your Half Marathon or Full marathon registration.
Once registered, based on availability, you have the option to change from one race to another.
- Through Wednesday, December 5 | note: change fee applies. Change races here, once you are on your Runsignup account, click “Manage Registration” under our “Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon” event name. At the very top of the next page, select “Transfer Event,” then select “start transfer” to complete the race distance change. Fee for changing from full marathon to half marathon is approximately $35 (this includes processing fee). Fee for changing from half marathon to full marathon is approximately $45 (this includes the processing fee).
- December 6 and December 7 | $45 change fee, in person at On-Island Packet Pick-up.
Our race staff understands that injuries, family emergencies, last minute business plans, and life in general can keep you from participating in our event after you’ve registered. Though we do not offer refunds and bibs are not transferable, we do offer the option of “deferment” (running the following year’s race instead.). Please see below for the simple steps on how to complete this process.
Deferring 2018 to 2019
- Due the winter storm impacting travel from areas outside of the greater Charleston area, we have extended the deferral deadline until midnight on Friday, December 7, 2018.
- To defer sign into your personal account on www.RunSignUp.com. Select Manage Registration under your Kiawah Island Marathon upcoming event. At the top of the next page, select Defer Registration. Click “Confirm Deferral”.
- There is no fee at the time of changing your status. There is a $45 administrative fee charged when using your reserved entry in the following calendar year.
- Reserved entry codes are emailed to eligible recipients after January 15, 2019 to complete 2019 Race Registration (Entry is not automatic).
- All runners who are eligible to defer are guaranteed a reserved entry into the succeeding race, as long as they have completed the directions sent in the reserved entry email and paid the $45 administrative fee by midnight on October 31, 2019.
- The deferments are only valid for 1 calendar year- the year following the date of original race registration
- All 2018 complimentary entries and discounted race entry fees are not eligible for deferral.
2017 Deferred Runners Registering for 2018
- ENTRY INTO 2018 IS NOT AUTOMATIC.
- Reserved entry codes have been emailed from RunSignUp to all eligible recipients as of January 31, 2018.
- Do not register for 2018 without your reserved entry code. We are not able to offer refunds when a runner is eligible for a reserved entry code, but registers on their own.
- Every runner must use their reserved entry by midnight on October 31, 2018. After that date, entry is not guaranteed and entry cost is at the current registration rate on that date.
- If you believe you were eligible for a reserved entry for 2018, and did not receive an email from RunSignUp, please contact the race office at Kiawah_Marathon@kiawahresort.com.
On Island Packet Pick-up
Race Weekend, East Beach Conference Center, Kiawah Island
- Thursday, December 6th, 4pm – 7pm
- Friday, December 7th, 10am – 8:30pm
- Race Day, Saturday, December 8th, 6:15am – 7:45am
What to Bring to On Island Packet Pick up
- Identification: Valid photo id is needed to pick up your bib (B-tag). All runners must pick up their own race bib and B-tag. Runners are not permitted to pick up anyone’s bib but their own.
- Canned goods: We are asking every runner to bring at least two non-perishable canned items for donation for donation to One80 Place and Charleston Area Senior Center.
- Reusable Bag: As we strive to be an environmentally responsible race, we will not be supplying bags. Please bring your own tote bag, book bag or messenger bag for your bib, shirt and any marathon apparel you might purchase.
Official Race Shirt
The Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon is proud to work with GreenLayer to provide the official race shirts.
Selecting Selecting a Shirt Size: Please use the sizing chart to select your shirt size. Once ordered, if you need to alter your size, log into your RunSignUp.com. account. Under Kiawah Marathon select Manage Registration, click My Registration, then Give Away.
T-shirt Exchange: Once the race starts, anyone can exchange a shirt at the information table located inside East Beach Conference Center. T-shirt exchange is open Race Day 8:30am – 2pm and Sunday 8:30am – 1pm.
Bibs and B-tag
We are using the B-tag timing device, the “chip” is attached to your bib. The B-tag requires no additional application, you simply use the supplied safety pins to attached the bib to the clothing. When crossing the mats at the start line, finish line and throughout the course, it is important to have the bib on the outside of your clothing, placed high on your chest. In addition, we ask that you refrain from folding or wrinkling your bibs before the race. Before the race, please fill out the medical information on the back of your bib. Sharpies will be available at Packet Pick-up inside the East Beach Conference Center.Download your Medical Backprint.
- Thursday, 4pm – 7pm (mini expo)
- Friday, 10am – 8:30pm
- Race Day, Saturday, 6:30am – 2pm
Vendors with sports apparel, health and wellness products, and services will be stationed inside Kiawah’s East Beach Conference Center on Thursday and Friday, and outside at the Finish Line on Saturday. Pick up some last-minute race necessities and be sure to visit the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Official Merchandise Store. The Expo is FREE and open to the Public. If you are interested in becoming a race sponsor or vendor, please email us at RaceSponsor@KiawahResort.com.
Pre-race Bike Tour
Friday ~ Race Weekend, 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Get a leg up on the competition by previewing the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon race course! Join our Lead Cyclists before the race and ride the half marathon (11 miles of the full). Don’t miss this exclusive chance to see the new course layout and starting line or enjoy yourself before the big day! Familiarize yourself with the water station layouts and select beautiful landmarks to help you keep pace on race day. The Pre-Race Bike Ride isn’t just for race participants; family and friends shouldn’t miss this opportunity to stake out cheering spots before the race begins. Additionally, most of our race course is located within a private community and is only accessible to previewing by foot or bike. The tour costs $20 per person. Complimentary bicycle included; however, participants are welcome to bring their own. Bikes will be available to participants beginning at 2:15pm adjacent to the Finish Line at the East Beach Conference Center race venue. For more information call (843) 768-6001. Make My Reservation Online.
Pre-race Van Tour
Friday ~ Race Weekend, 3:30pm – 5pm
Preview the full marathon course in the comfort of our climate- controlled van. This is a perfect way for runners to take a look at the entire course and for spectators to pick out the best spots to cheer their loved ones on. $25/ person, space is limited. Tour will leave from the finish line area adjacent to East Beach Conference Center. Call (843)768-6001 for information.Make My Reservation Online.
1-Mile and 5K Beach Glow Run
Friday ~ Race Weekend, 5:30pm | Sanctuary Beach Access
Friday, Race Weekend, 7 pm | Grand Oaks Ballroom inside the Sanctuary Hotel
Join us the evening before your run to celebrate with some yoga! This upbeat class will release your muscles to get you ready for the race. No yoga experience necessary, open to everyone. $20 on-line special. Reservations will be accepted race weekend if space is available. For more information, call 843.768.6001 or visit the Information Table inside the East Beach Conference Center.
Runner’s Pre-Marathon Warm Up
Race Day, 6:45am and 7 am
Join a fitness instructor before the race begins to help warm up and stretch your entire body. With an emphasis on the ankles, calves, quads, hamstrings and hips, we will clear your mind and connect your breath-flow in this complimentary 15-minute warm up. Session will meet inside the East Beach Conference Center. No reservations required. For more information visit the Information Table inside the East Beach Conference Center. Complimentary.
Race Day Parking/Shuttle Service
Off Island Runners: Runners and spectators staying off-island will park in the fields adjacent to Freshfields Village. Runners are urged to arrive at parking fields NO LATER THAN 6am TO AVOID MISSING THE 8am RACE START. Off-Island Parking info sheet.
- Arriving to Off-Island Parking: When approaching Freshfields Village, at the round about follow the signs to Kiawah Island. Travel 0.4 miles, marathon parking will be on your right.
- Shuttle to Race Start: Shuttle buses begin at 5am and will run continuously throughout the day. Shuttle buses will drop runners and spectators off at Night Heron Park (corner of Sea Forest Drive and Kiawah Island Parkway). From here it is 0.4 mile walk to race start.
- Return Shuttle: (8:45am – 4pm+) For the shuttle back to the parking fields, pick up the shuttle outside the Roy Barth Tennis Center near Sanctuary Beach Drive, located just beyond the Celebration tent. Follow the red ‘Shuttle’ arrows within the race venue.
On Island Runners
West Beach Villas: Runners are advised to use the provided shuttle service. Beginning at 5:30am until race start, shuttles will depart every 15 minutes from the Cougar Point Golf Course Parking Lot.
Night Heron Park Villas: Night Heron Cottages, Mariners Watch and Windswept guests are advised to walk to the race start or use the provided shuttle service. Beginning at 5:45am until race start, shuttles will depart every 15 minutes from the 3-way stop on Sea Forest Drive at the entrance to Mariners Watch Villas.
East Beach Villas: Tennis Club, Turtle Point, Turtle Cove, Turtle Beach, Maritime guests are advised to walk to the race start. If you wish to drive your car to the race venue, parking is available at the soccer fields at Night Heron Park, from which it is a .4 mile walk to the race start via the bike path.
Vanderhorst gate and beyond: Guests staying past the Vanderhorst Gate may park in the soccer field at Night Heron Park. Access the soccer field via the Night Heron Park parking lot (adjacent to the basketball court). From here, it is a .4 mile walk to the race start via the bike path.
Personal Article Storage
For the safety of our runners and spectators, we are changing our procedures for personal storage articles. All items placed in Article Storage must be stored in a clear plastic bag measuring no larger than 20” x 20”. Plastic bags will be available at no cost at Packet Pickup. However, you are welcome to bring your own clear plastic bag as long as it complies with the size requirement. On race morning, drop off your plastic bag at one of the designated ARTICLE STORAGE tents located outside East Beach Conference Center. Write your bib number on the outside of the bag. Sharpies will be available at Packet Pickup and at the Article Storage tents. Do not place any valuables in your bags. We are not responsible for lost items or bags. Until you deposit it in ARTICLE STORAGE, do not leave your bag unattended. Unattended bags will be removed by Charleston County Sheriff’s Office, Kiawah Island Security or race personnel. During the race our course crew will be collecting personal items discarded on the course. These items can be picked up, if retrieved, at the East beach Conference Center from 8:30am until 1pm on Sunday of Race Weekend.